Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chess Openings - Unusual First Moves

I am so used to playing 1.d4 or 1.e4 that, when an opponent plays say 1.b4 my first reaction is - hey what's this? I decided to search around a bit for Chess Openings - Unusual First Moves when I ran into Mark Week's article by the same name.

1.b4 is also known as the Orangutang, one of the most colorful opening names, and as the Polish. Chess Lab has over two million interactive chess games online. Here's one game from Chess Lab based on the Orangutang.

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "1990.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Bunk"]
[Black "Wartig, W."]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "A00"]
[EventDate "1990.??.??"]

1. b4 e5 2. Bb2 Bxb4 3. f4 f6 {Nc6 would have been better?}
4. e3 b6 5. fxe5 fxe5 6. Qh5+ Kf8 7. Qf3+ 1-0

There's also a game there between Hasler and Karpov, that Hasler won using this opening. I better watch out for an opponent trying this opening with me. Any of you have played this opening before? What's been your experience?

0 comments:

Post a Comment